Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thing 17.2 - Course Discoveries

I decided to start browsing the discoveries of my course fellows with a Random Joke from Comedy Central (thanks Chris N). I am always on the lookout for funny things, and my RSS "joke of the day" does not seem to update for some reason. I also appreciated the Unshelved library-related comic strips - this will be my new source for the weekly library bulletin board clippings (I've been known to post a New Yorker cartoon here and there in the past, but these have been specifically drawn for us librarians). I also could not help but listen some of the Lonely Planet Podcasts, thanks to Carin. I love Lonely Planet books, and their audio stories are of the same great quality. I've lately been disappointed with the Travel channel: I think it has become very commercial focusing more and more on "top" distinations and poker games. I am glad to see that Lonely Planet still carries the torch of character travel and that it chose to podcast its discoveries. Their stories are surprisingly visual even without the video illustration. You could "hear" the unique personalities of the storytellers, their interactions with locals and nature, all of which makes you re-live somebody else's travel experience. And the photographs complete the pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you like comics AND archives, I've got a webcomic called Derangement and Description, at http://derangementanddescription.wordpress.com . I hope you enjoy it!