Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thing 14 - Backyard Activity

I have to admit I was late on this assignement and had to search the calendar slightly backwards. Surprisingly, my backyard in Newton did not have too many scary Halloween events listed on American Town. There was one call from the Kids Halloween Dancing Party preceding the trick-or-treat, but the rest of the week-end activities look way too serious, ranging from Week-End Masses and Worship Services to local politics, town councils, product recalls, and oncoming election. What can one expect from a town with a 100% election turnout - the statistics I just got from the Wicked Local, which, by the way, I found a little more interesting and lively than American Town. They annonced the Silver NewTones Halloween concert (one small con: it still appears in their Coming up section 10 days after the event). The WickedLocal events are not as organized as Globe, Herald, and American Town, and searching is a bit tricky here, but news are interesting and read more like they have been written by real people. I used to follow WickedLocal predecessor TownOnline, but ever since I got school age kids at home, I don't: kids bring tons of local event flyers from school every day. Somehow I know what's going on in my backyard before it makes the headlines...

No comments: